Thursday, January 29, 2009

Spanish/Mediteranean/Mission Style

I'm loving Amanda Peet's House.

Photo by Coliena Rentmeester
December/January 2008, Domino.

I've been studying some architecture lately do to my 25 page paper for my Senior Thesis on Frank Lloyd Wright, but I have always been drawn to more Mediterranean architecture, Mediterranean and Spanish design, tiles, and other influences. The above picture is from Domino's Dec/Jan 08 issue and reminded me how much I am really influenced by that design. Someday, when I have a really big kitchen I want to design it in that style, or at least have a Spanish style house. I've always loved the stucco walls and orange roofs of the houses in California that I've seen, and my dream is to have a huge house like that. I love bright colors, art, high ceilings and big windows to let in a lot of light and I feel like a house like that would be perfect and colorful. Cultural Influences in the home, especially if you don't have a lot of furniture are a great way to make a small space seem more intimate and warm, and that's exactly what I like to convey when I design homes, rooms and do sketches or even come up with things in my head.
Now I could probably write an entire blog entry on tiles alone, but here are some tiles that I love and other ways to incorporate Spanish/Mediterranean style into your home.
The Backsplash

Backsplash: "Primula" cement tile $21.80/square foot, Mosaic House (800) 471-2575
Photo By Annie Schlecter
Domino Magazine March 2006




Photo by Coliena Rentmeester
December/January 2008, Domino.
Again, another great staircase, just like Adrian Grenier's.

Photo by Max Kim-Bee
December 2008, Domino Magazine.
So...Then I did a google search for Spanish style homes, which is exactly what I'm drawn to and here are some of the great results. (Click the photo to link back to original source)




No comments:

Post a Comment